Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Poor Boy's Lobster

If you live on the East Coast, you better be at the supermarket every week in August and September asking for lobster specials (Hopefully inexpensive everywhere else too!). I have been hearing from some of my wine and foodie friends that lobster has been ridiculously cheap; however, I thought they would surely be gone by the time I get off work if they're priced at $5 a pound. Over this past holiday weekend, I scurried into the grocery store to hopefully get a lobster before they had gone away. With a parking lot full, a massive sign designating fresh lobster, I was sure my chances were looking even slimmer. To my surprise, when I got to the meat department I encountered a massive tank with loads of fresh lobster. At $5.99 a pound, these lobsters were cheaper than a basic ribeye steak!

Although I tend to create recipes with a massive laundry list worth of ingredients, I am actually quite the naturalist when it comes to fish this good. If cooked correctly, I enjoy this shellfish with some lemon butter and herbs. A perfect summer accompaniment would be some fresh grilled corn and grilled sliced Yukon potatoes. Believe it or not, this lobster dinner came to about $10 a person! Once again, I am reminded how amazing cooking can become when using fresh ingredients of the season. I generally go by this rule when strolling through the meat and produce sections... the larger the quantity on a product, the more in season it is - grab it! Chances are the price is now lower also because they have a greater supply. Fresher food, lower prices, win win situation. Enjoy this simple, delightful, end of summer treat listed below.

This hearty fish accompanied by butter will clearly go well with any Chardonnay. If you are willing to sacrifice a few extra bucks on something spectacular, I would especially recommend a Puligny-Montrachet from Burgundy, France. This style will be more polished than many of the over oaked Chardonnay's available in today's market. The natural link comes between the buttery sauce and richness in the wine. Fresh lobster tastes best with a match that has the same elegance. Burgundy sets the bar for the world's greatest Chardonnay and is worth every penny.

Lobster
- 1- 1 1/2lb Lobster
- Herb and Lemon Butter - listed below
-Corn on the cob
- Sliced Yukon Potatoes

Boil lobster for 7-8 minutes in water. Chop off the tails and cut down center(butterfly it). Grill parts for 7-8 minutes. Layer sliced potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a foil pocket and grill for about 15 minutes. Grill corn until kernels are bright yellow and slightly browned. Serve with butter below.

Herb and Lemon Butter
-Minced Thyme
- Minced Rosemary
-Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- 4 tbsp butter
Melt butter and add ingredients. Use for dipping lobster

No comments:

Post a Comment