Sunday, July 11, 2010

Grapefruit and Avocado Bruschetta


In one of my recent posts I commented on how much I love Italian appetizers like caprese. I have also always been a huge fan of bruschetta. Honestly one of the most impressive flavor combinations that can easily be whipped up in a matter of minutes. It's as easy as chopping tomatoes, basil, garlic, and combining with some olive oil and salt. Typically this Italian style salsa is served over toasted Panne Italian.


With the summer heat in full swing, I have been craving fruitier items. Apricot and mango chutneys, grilled pineapple, watermelon margaritas, peach pie, you name it. As I prepare the grocery list every Sunday, my husband Scott usually chimes in with some inspiration on different themes to cook through out the week. Tonight he wanted to go back to our California roots and have a Pacific theme. Cedar planked salmon naturally came to mind. I wanted everything tonight to be fresh. Fresh salmon, fresh produce, fresh bread. Maybe the "Jersey Fresh" logo that local markets have been promoting has been working on me. Considering we live in the garden state, the summer and fall months are always over abundant in produce and I love it! After picking up my fresh Italian bread at the entrance of the store, I immediately started thinking of a salsa like concoction to put on top. Avocado clearly had to be a part since that is a California staple. I have seen plenty of peach, mango, and tomato based salsas so I figured I would venture down a different path. Grapefruit is the star of the dressing below. Instead of using chips with this salsa, I toasted the bread and glazed with olive oil. See below for this tasty California style bruschetta. Approved by Scott and my neighbor Shibahn.


California Bruschetta

1 grapefruit peeled and chopped into bite size pieces

1 avocado peeled and chopped into bite size pieces

1/2 small red onion diced

1-2 jalapenos diced

1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1 tbsp white wine vinegar

2 tbsp lime juice

1/2 tbsp honey

1/2 tbsp sugar

2 comments:

  1. Kris, You always make my mouth water with your delicious recipes. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx girl! I've been learning so much about blogging from your site... so impressive!

    ReplyDelete