Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rosemary Balsamic Steak with Chono Syrah

Jersey is notorious for being the garden state and the summers really do prove this name to be true. I have loved growing herbs, peppers, and tomatoes for the last few years. Having the produce readily available in the backyard every evening has encouraged me to add more herbs in my cooking. Fresh herbs are a perfect way to add flavor and keep the meal healthy. In the past I have always associated rosemary with hearty dishes for cooler climates. This was an herb I really only bought at Thanksgiving and Christmas to season the turkey or a big pot roast. This summer I have given more consideration to this piney and pungent plant that is much more versatile than I originally gave credit for. As a bonus, this herb is rich in iron, calcium, and vitamin B6. A little really does go a long way though and I generally chop it extremely fine to keep from getting a bitter bite. I have experimented with adding it to lemon white wine chicken/fish marinades as well as balsamic steak and every time have been extremely satisfied. Below the wine pairing, I have listed a steak kabob marinade for the grill with minced rosemary. This meal took 10 minutes to prepare and sat for about an hour. Grilling takes about 5-10 minutes making this a perfect weeknight meal. As a tasty side, I would explore the option of Naan bread. In my opinion, Naan is the new Italian garlic bread. Naan originates in India. It is flat like pita and infused with garlic bits and parsley flakes. Steamed white rice is also another easy side.

When I have mentioned steak dishes in my previous posts, I generally pair it with a Cab or Shiraz/Syrah. The full bodied reds stand up nicely to the richness of the steak. For those that have not jumped on the Chile bandwagon, the time is now. Some of the best values in the world are coming from there. This region isn't shy on producing a variety of styles either. Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay from the Casablanca Valley, Cabernet and Carmenere from the Maipo Valley, and Syrah from the Elqui Valley in the north. With this dish listed below, I would definitely suggest Chono Elqui Syrah. A cool climate Syrah with notes of white pepper and extremely earthy. This wine will not be as chewy as an Australian Shiraz. Considering the steak is mixed in with pepper, onion, and mushrooms I prefer this style from the Elqui Valley.

Rosemary Balsamic Sirloin Kabobs with Naan
-1 lb sirloin cut into cubes
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Red onion chopped in larger bites
- Green and red bell pepper chopped into bites
-2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Minced rosemary sprigs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Layer steak and veggies on kabobs and rest on pan. Season with salt and pepper. Pat the garlic onto the steak bites. Sprinkle the rosemary over the kabobs.Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. Let sit for 30-60 minutes in marinade. Grill on medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Serve with Naan, steamed white rice, and Chono Elqui Syrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment