Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Carne Asada Seasoned with Roasted Peppers

Generally about once a week I crave Mexican food. Having grown up in Southern California I experienced the flavors of this culture at their finest. Since moving away, I've realized what an influence the West Coast has had on my taste buds. I can eat a whole jalapeno and enjoy it. Ok Ok, maybe its been grilled, wrapped in bacon, and my nose runs profusely for an hour after. I find it hilarious that my friends on the East Coast think I'm strange to put avocado on everything. Some other states don't understand the idea of a burrito either. When living in Texas, tacos and quesadillas existed but the burrito was a completely foreign object. I burrito anything(yes I just used that as a verb ha!) from eggs at breakfast, turkey at lunch, and in the case of today's recipe carne asada at dinner. Apparently I'm not just the girl that says "Gnarly", "Dude", and "Awesome" on occasion... I have California taste buds and am proud to represent them. See my recipe below inspired by the Spanish style cuisine of Bobby Flay.

Although I am proudly boasting about my California roots in this post, I have to admit that I need to steer in a different direction for a wine. Unfortunately, Mexico is not known for their wine. The Spanish speaking countries of Chile, Argentina, and Spain are though! Carmenere from Chile is a delicious varietal to pair with the burritos below. Rich blackberry, slight woody character, and touch of spice stand up to the steak in an amazing way. I recommend Palin Carmenere from the Colchagua Valley. Completely organic and affordable too!

Carnes Asada Marinade
- 1 red and yellow pepper
- 2 jalapenos
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano
- salt and pepper

For Burritos
- Carne asada and peppers above
- Avocado
- Burrito shells
- Sour Cream
- Salsa

Roast the peppers and garlic at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Enclose in ziploc bag until peppers wilt. Coarsely chop peppers and garlic. In a bag, combine all ingredients above and refrigerate for 24-48 hours. Grill over medium high heat for about 4 minutes on each side. Grill peppers in separate pan. Serve with fajita style burrito shells, diced avocado, sour cream, salsa of choice, rice, and beans.

3 comments:

  1. Kris- Please stop making my mouth water all the time :) Can't wait to own a copy of your signed cookbook :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish and being an Arizona girl I know what you mean with the taste buds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa said.....

    Yum Yum.....can't wait to try the mexican fiesta.
    Need a bottle of Petron!

    ReplyDelete